ARC's ARtist in Residency Program
What is Open A.I.R?
In the past, ARC has informally paired with artists of all kinds to facilitate retreats and workshops for guests to deepen their relationship to their craft or learn more about a new subject or skill. In 2018, we are opening up this opportunity to all who wish to apply through Open A.I.R.
Open A.I.R is a new Artist in Residency program at ARC Retreat Center that works to build a mutually beneficial relationship between artists, ARC, and the ARC resident community. By giving artists the comforts of home and an opportunity for collaboration, ARC is inviting in a spirit of creativity and joy, to complement our values of contemplation and simplicity.
What is ARC Retreat Center?
ARC (Action, Reflection, Celebration) offers a quiet and reflective atmosphere for individuals and groups to slow down the pace of life, restore balance, and deepen relationships with self, others and the Divine/God/Spirit/Universal Energy. Our intentional community of 5-8 resident volunteers is here to welcome you home, to nourish your mind, body and soul with quiet contemplation, homemade vegetarian meals and valued conversations.
Our facilities include a log lodge (sleeps 15-18 guests), hermitage (space for 1), and cottage (sleeps 2-6). We are nestled on 87 acres of old growth white pine forest with walking/skiing trails, wetlands, a creek and a lake nearby. Meditation is held twice daily and there is a labyrinth for walking meditation; yoga, therapeutic massage and reiki are available for an additional charge (with advance notice). We hope to welcome you home to ARC soon!
Who can apply?
We believe in and have a desire to support artists of all sorts in taking time to be in relationship to their spirituality and craft; because of this belief we are inviting 2 artists (one per session) to participate in our annual residency program. When we say artist, this includes but is not limited to:
Paint, Canvas, Paper, Pencil
Photography and Videography
Music and Sound Curation/Production
Sculpture (traditional mediums and found materials)
Dance and Movement
Healing Arts (herbalism, reiki & energy modalities, bodywork)
Don’t see your craft here? Email us at email@example.com.
ARC Retreat Center and the intentional community are committed to developing mutually beneficial relationships that fosters the growth of others and ourselves. To this end, as an artist-in-residence, you will receive:
- Seven days of personal retreat time to develop/craft on-site
- Daily homemade vegetarian meals while on-site
- A $500 honorarium for facilitating a 4-day workshop (with the option to offer private sessions with guests for additional income)
- Complementary pass to attend a four-day workshop hosted by another artist-in-residence within twelve months of your workshop, including full room and board
- An opportunity to collaborate with community members (as desired)
As an artist-in-residence you will be expected to:
- Stay on-site for 7 days of personal retreat
- Facilitate a 4 day workshop (with ARC community support and promotion)
- Loan 1-3 pieces of original work to ARC to be displayed for the year of your residency, One piece or copy (of your choosing) will be retained as a donation to ARC.
Residency: April 29-9 Retreat/Workshop: May 6-9. January 15 application deadline.
Residency: Nov 25-Dec 5, Retreat/Workshop: Dec 2-5. June 15 application deadline.